Saturday, January 21, 2006

I did it! Hooray!!!

Well, I kicked Babymama and Holy Terror out of my house today. Backstory - Babygirl has been getting worse and worse about sleeping. She just does NOT sleep through the night. It's like each nice she wakes up more and stays up longer. Last night she slept like a newborn. It was not a good situation. I desperately needed a place to put her that was safe, like a crib in her/Babymama's room, so I could close the door and walk away and just breathe for 10 minutes to regain my cool. There was, however, no such place. I was up, and my hubby was up, and thhe babygirl was up, and there was yelling, and there was breaking down, and it was a great big ugly scene. I *needed* a break - after 16 months of this cr@p from babygirl who has always been a poor sleeper - so I stayed out on the couch and did NOT sleep. I lay there, my mind racing, worrying how to deal with this problem, and the other big stressful problem in my life, that being miserable moochy Babymama who never did bother looking for a job once I bought her a car, or even thanking me for that matter, when suddenly I realized that the answer to both problems was the same, and that it could no longer be put off, but that it had to happen right away.

So when Babymama woke up in the morning, I sat her down at the kitchen table and said "I need you and HT to move out today. Here's the number for [Agency]; it's the coordinating agency for all the homeless shelters in the state and if you don't have somewhere to stay they'll find you a place." As I said this, she blinked like eight times really really fast, looking as though I had slapped her. I stood up the instant I was done speaking and walked out of the door, shutting the French door behind me. Three hours and forty minutes later she and all her crap was gone.

This was the most beautiful day of the last six months of my life.

Hubby and I cleaned out the room. I put fresh linens on the bed and washed the throw rugs. We haven't moved the crib in yet, as we will have to disassemble and reassemble it, not to mention purchase a replacement for a broken part on the slide-up-and-down mechanism, but we will get it done very soon. Babygirl played in there ALL DAY LONG. Running in, running out, jumping on the bed, sliding off the bed, playing with Mama's books on the bookshelf. I was able to sort through her dresser ande clear out all the too-small stuff, and then fold and put away everything we'd been keeping for her in a laundry basket in our bedroom. The room's not back to its prior peaceful coordinated self yet, but it's SOOO much better, and it's ours. It's Babygirl's room again.

I put her down to sleep on the bed in her room tonight; she passed right out and is sleeping soundly there now all bolstered in with many pillows. I'll sleep with her in there tonight, but tomorrow I'm going to buy a baby monitor and maybe sleep with my husband, in our own bed - alone. We shall have to see how it works out from here. But in the meantime, I am so very, very happy.

I understand that she is staying with her mom "for tonight at least." Why didn't her mom take her - and her own grandchild - in six months ago, when this whole mess began?! Family should take care of family. Babymama and HT are NOT our family.

I'd be just fine if I never had to see either of them again.

Good night. I'm going to go have myself some very sweet dreams.

1 Comments:

At 1/24/2006 4:11 PM, Blogger Teri said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!

I guess I must've missed the fact that a. they weren't family and b. they were putting babygirl out of her own room! (And by association, depriving you and your hubby of your space.) Pardon my French, but Fuck That.

You were more than generous and she flagrantly abused your kindness.

I know it took courage to give her the boot. Right on!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home