Thursday, January 19, 2006

Good dinner!

Yesterday I made a dinner that I was actually pretty proud of. It was pretty quick, fairly creative, and not terribly unhealthy. The sodium was probably a little high, but calories/fat were low, and it had both fruits AND vegetables. I was so happy with myself that I had to post it here.

What would I name this dish? I don't know - Orange ginger turkey with fruity spring greens salad? Whatever, here it is:

Simmer 4 turkey breast fillets in a saucepan, in ginger-tamari sauce (2 parts) and orange juice (1 part). While that's simmering, take 1 box premixed/prewashed organic baby spring greens, add chopped MacIntosh or other crisp apple, diced pineapple, crushed walnut pieces, and crumbled Feta cheese. Mix well.

The turkey fillets should be cooked by now (they don't take long). Spread a couple of tablespoons of sesame seeds on a plate. Remove the fillets one-by-one from the saucepan, shake off the extra sauce, place on the sesame seeds and then flip over - the goal is not so much to coat the fillets with the seeds as it is to use them as garnish. Place a serving of the salad in the middle of 2 dinner plates. Place two fillets on each plate on either side of the salad portion.

Add additional orange juice to the remaining sauce in the saucepan until the flavors balance out. Warm it back up. Spoon over the salad as dressing. It should be warm enough to just slightly wilt the greens. Spoon a little over the fillets, too, but not too much or the sesame seeds will wash off. You shouldn't need much anyway, as the fillets will be tender and juicy.

My hubby remarked on the nice presentation, and then ate his whole plate. Babygirl ate lots of the apples, pineapples, feta, and turkey. (I'm afraid she'll choke on the walnuts, and she has no idea what to do with salad greens.)

I'm not the most creative or ambitious cook in the world, but once in awhile I pull off a good one. And this one was easy, too, so I'm sure to reuse it many times. Yay, me!

1 Comments:

At 1/24/2006 4:14 PM, Blogger Teri said...

Sounds yummy! I'll try it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home