Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Still sick. Still tired. Please forgive.

I took two precious sick days out of work, Friday and yesterday. I just couldn't come in with the uncontrollable evil-imp-tickling-my-throat-with-a-feather cough causing me to hack up a lung at random intervals. I've cultivated a decent reputation at work, which I prefer not to replace with comparisons to Typhoid Mary. (Saturday night I actually coughed 'til I puked. Twice. Bet you're glad you know that, right?) I did not take advantage of the opportunity to update this blog from home due to my unbearably slow dial-up connection, hopefully soon to be a thing of the past. So, anyway, here I am back at work, with the cough under control, but still undeniably sick, and oh so unmistakably still tired. Folks, the *only* sleep I got throughout the whole four-day weekend was NyQuil induced. That lasts about two hours, after which I woke myself up coughing and had to stagger to the bathroom for another dose. I'm fairly sure I'm not supposed to take NyQuil every two hours. Ooops.

I really don't know how I'm going to make it through this day. Today is the office Holiday Luncheon. I opted out of it because, get this, WE PAY FOR IT OURSELVES. As federal government employees, I guess it would be considered "fleecing the American taxpayer" to expect our employer to pick up the tab for a luncheon buffet at a decent but by no means fancy hotel restaurant. I like my co-workers well enough (really! I do!), but not so much as to want to spend $23.50 to walk halfway across Boston in the cold and eat lunch will all of them at once. Call me the Grinch. Maybe while they're all gone, I'll allow my head to fall onto my desk with a resounding *clunk!* and lapse into a blessed hour of unconsciousness.

Anyway, still haven't updated my new blogsite with my old posts, links, visit counter etc. Won't be doing it today either. So sorry.

1 Comments:

At 12/21/2005 7:21 PM, Blogger Poly Dad said...

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well.
I hope you are feeling great by the time
Chrismahanukwanzakah rolls around.

and I hope the luncheon allowed you a bit of rest -- or semi good food. Can you expense the meal and charge it back to work? *evil grin*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home