Thursday, December 15, 2005

Floored. Sick, and tired. More cute stuff.

My carpool buddy and I have enjoyed using each other as ears to listen to all the stuff we need to bitch about. He's been very interestedly following the saga of Babymama (mother, with my brother-in-law, of my nephew), who became homeless and wound up moving in with us last September, and has had about a 3-year string of bad luck. Anyway, Babymama's car went off to that great boneyard in the sky last Friday. She then was fired from her job because, well, she couldn't get there anymore. My husband and I have been chauffering her 3-year-old, affectionately known here as the holy terror, to preschool and back because we can't stand having her around all day and because she gets so bored that she becomes evil-nonstop-temper-tantrum-child by sundown. Her work told her that if she could get another car before they hired someone else they'll be happy to take her back. So, brother-in-law's co-worker has an '89 Honda with only 88 thousand miles on it that just needs a new alternator, and is looking to sell it for $100. The alternator will be another $100 or so. We, of course, are going to buy it for Babymama, because she of course has no money and because it behooves us to get her mobile again. Well, I recounted this saga to my carpool buddy, who seemed really sympathetic to Babymama's plight. When he dropped me off, I tried to give him my usual $7 trip fee. He refused, instead *GIVING ME* $43 and telling me to add the $7 to it and to put the whole $50 towards getting the car for Babymama. I could not convince him to take the money back. Basically, he's doing pretty well this holiday season, and wanted to give something back to the world where he saw the opportunity to do so. I was just completely floored, that this guy would do something so generous for someone he's never met. What a really, really decent guy.

Anyway, I'm sick today. Cough cough cough. Sniffle sniffle sniffle. I've blown my nose so many times it's all red and flaky around the bottom. I also didn't sleep much because I kept waking myself up coughing. I would have liked to stay home but, having a baby and all, it's not like I could have stayed in bed and slept or anything restful like that. Plus, the whole issue of having a second baby is on my radar screen, meaning that I need to hoard my vacation and sick time like a squirrel hoarding nuts for the winter in order to not have to come back to work 2 weeks postpartum - that is, if the whole second baby thing even happens. So, I'm marginally functional and capable of walking upright, meaning I'm not too sick to come in. But any grammatical/spelling/typographical errors in this posting can truthfully be attributed to my sickness and/or my tiredness. Sorry if I've offended any grammar bitches out there.

My babygirl's latest cute thing: My husband and both brothers-in-law (the one living in our upstairs apartment, and the one living in our basement "studio" apartment) are huge football fans. They've taught her to say "touchdown." When football is on and she hears the word, or when the excitement reaches a loud fever pitch, she turns to face the TV, puts both arms up in the air, and yells "uh-aown!" Then turns back to face us with a radiant smile on her face. I'm not even that big of a football fan, but have to admit this is cute as all get-out. My babygirl, making three grown men all mushy and weak-kneed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home